Tuesday, January 31, 2006

I have no shame.

I have been told this on several occasions, typically when I have done something shameful and someone feels the needs to say, "You have no shame." Well, I share this now because I have been thinking about it in a different context.

While I was home for Christmas, I was listening to a John Piper sermon on Romans 1. He focused on verse 16, where Paul says "I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile." Why did Paul feel the need to say he wasn't ashamed? Did he expect us to feel ashamed about it?

I hate to admit that there have been several times in my life where I have behaved like someone who was ashamed of the Gospel. I rejoice to say that God has given me victory over that shame. As I walked across the Tec campus today with my computer bag slung over my shoulder, my Bible in one hand, and a big bottle of water in the other, I realized that I am no longer ashamed. Matter of fact, I take pleasure in being identified as someone who wants to talk about the gospel of Jesus Christ. I want to be that "crazy Christian" that makes you think and forces you to make a decision. As Jim Elliot said, "Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road; make me a fork, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me."

I realize that people are not always going to respond well to me, or to the gospel. I already had one international student get a little queasy when I told her I was a missionary. I expect to have some people not want to hang around me, but I pray that the Holy Spirit would draw those who are open to hear. Piper had a great quote when he said, "You will be shamed for the Gospel, but you do not have to be ashamed." That is how I feel now. I am prepared to be shamed, but I refused to be ashamed. I can understand now why Paul said what he did. I have seen the power of a life changed by Jesus Christ, and that is nothing to be ashamed about.

3 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Josh,

Do you have the ability to post pictures on the blog? God Bless.

Darin

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Josh said...

Darin,

I can post pictures (normally), but the connection where I have been staying is very, very slow on the upload, and I keep getting timed out when I try to post pictures. When I move I will get some on the site. Thanks.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger mic said...

got the site, missionary-blogs.com, from another missionary. i agree those in the US are really blind to the fact that it is cheap to live here.
God bless, anthony- Torreon MX

 

Post a Comment

<< Home