Sunday, January 22, 2006

Finally here.

Well, I have finally made it to Monterrey. It seemed like it would take forever, but I am definitely here, and currently watching the NFL playoffs in Spanish. It would take days to write all of the fun and crazy things that have happened since I arrived in Mexico, and most of you wouldn't read it all anyway, so I will hit the highlights.

On Monday, January 9th, I flew into Mexico City with my teammate Nolan. It was unbelievable. I don't really know what I expected from the largest city in the world, but it just kept going for what seemed like days. As if the plane trip over the city didn't get the point across, driving around definitely did. The place is madness. 28 million people will do that to a city. We only stayed there for a little over a day, and then headed north to Querétaro, where Nolan is going to be living. We met our supervisor Steve and his family, and they showed us around the city and introduced us to many new friends. We spent about a week in Querétaro, and then Nolan, Steve, and I came up to Monterrey last Wednesday.

When we got to Monterrey, our first order of business was to find a place for me to live. God really provided a great place in a very strategic location - right across from the main entrance to the campus. I am going to include some pictures that you can check out. I will hopefully be moving in Monday or Tuesday. The apartment is unfurnished, so the next thing we had to do was find some things to put in it. Steve drove us to an area outside of town where both sides of the street are lined with furniture warehouses. The style is called "rustico" down here, because it is made of wood and looks a little rustic. I bartered with the owner, and ended up getting a pretty good deal on a living room set, kitchen table with six chairs, a bed, and a counter for my kitchen. It is all being delivered next week.

I have made several good contacts since getting here on Wednesday. I have met many Mexican believers who have welcomed me and offered to help me get settled. I went to an event yesterday at Calvary Baptist Church here in Monterrey, and also went to the service there this morning. They were very kind, and are encouraging me to get involved there. Tomorrow I am meeting with one of the guys there who attends Monterrey Tech, and we are going to have a Bible study with some other students. I am looking forward to that.

I am going to post some pictures I have taken of Monterrey. It is completely surrounded by mountains and is really a nice city. Sometimes the views are just breathtaking. Yesterday I went with some Christian youths from Monterrey and Reynosa to a high hilltop where they have the biggest Mexican flag you have ever seen. You could see the whole city from there, and it was great to be able to look out over Monterrey and pray for the people. I know that God is at work here, and I long to see Him move in a powerful way in the next few years. Please join me in praying that the eyes and hearts of these people would be opened and they would respond as they are presented with the gospel and drawn by the Holy Spirit. Dios les bendiga!

Josh

5 Comments:

At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you made it ok. We will keep you in our prayers.

Darin

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Josh- Glad you made it 'home'. I hope your adventures have been fun and exciting! Enjoy Mexico for all its beauty -from its landscape to its people!

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Arnold Austin Jr said...

After a month of drought, the floodgate is open. Great post. We are praying for you.

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Madge said...

Glad to hear you have arrived safely and are about the moving in process. Can't wait to see your pics....make sure you check out our blog, you will get to see some buddies! Our part of the world is beautiful, just a little colder, but the hearts are warm and searching. Enjoy your new home and work.
Expect Miracles,
Madge

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Jim said...

I know what you mean about Mexico City! I just flew over it for the first time last summer, having always driven into Mexico. Of course, my only memory of Monterrey is being brand new to Mexico as we tried to find our way around the one-ways, construction and narrow streets! :)

Glad you made it to Mexico!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home