Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Orientation

Well, after all the waiting and preparation, I am finally at orientation, where I am training to be the most effective missionary that I possibly can be. It has been kind of relaxing now that I am here, as the last couple weeks have been very hectic as I prepared to leave Kentucky.

There is a lot that I could share right now, as being in this position has me thinking about all sorts of things. I only have time to give a few.

1. I am incredibly blessed to be able to go onto the mission field and spend my time telling lost and broken people how they can be restored through a relationship with Jesus Christ. Everyone keeps telling me how proud they are of what I am doing, but I feel like I am the most fortunate person alive. I am so thankful to all of the people who have made it possible for me to get here.

2. I am dedicated to staying completely focused while I am here. It would be easy to get caught up in having fun and hanging out with all of my new missionary friends, but I am going to use this time to get as close to God as I can. As much as I love these people, they are not going to be with me in Monterrey. I know I am going to have a great time in training, but that is not what I am here for. I am on a mission and I have a job to do, and that will be my focus.

3. The hardest thing about leaving was saying goodbye to my sister and her kids. My neice and nephew are going to be the two things that I miss the most. In another excellent example of how God provides, I am going to be on the childcare team while at missionary orientation. For the next six weeks, I will be treaching and working with the kids of all the missionaries here. Not that the whole group could replace two seconds with my neice and nephew, but my time with the kids here will help me to miss them less, and will give me an opportunity to use my love of kids to provide a needed service at training.

4. The food here is good, but in Kentucky, where there are biscuits, there is gravy. I got my biscuits at breakfast this morning, and then covered them with the white colored saucey-looking stuff that was right next door. When I sat down and started eating, I realized that my biscuits were covered with OATMEAL! I was very disappointed to find out that we don't have any gravy here. How are you supposed to eat biscuits with no gravy?!?! Anyway, I am having Cheerios tomorrow.

Well, I need to head to an interview. I will update you more later.

Dios les bendiga!

Josh

7 Comments:

At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Mom and I are praying for you daily.
2. You are already missed by your family and friends.
3. Our LORD'S calling is the most important path we can follow.
4. Stay focused and press on for the high calling of GOD.

Love Dad

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hola de Mexico!
I realized that all of you all are entering into orientation this week! How exciting!! It was a really amazing time for me.

One thing I would like to say... do get to know the people around you- THEY WILL BE WITH YOU IN MEXICO- not actually in the city with you- but held together through a network of prayer. These people will be going through some of the same experiences/excitements/disappointments that you will go through. I highly encourage you to get to know them. It is amazing to see and hear what the Lord is doing all over the world! It was one of the neatest times- a small peice of heaven for me- to be with people who love our Father so much and want to serve Him and bring Him glory... it was a sweet time. Enjoy!! And keep in touch- I promise, the Lord will use these people in your life when you least expect it. You all are there together for a reason- encourage one another and lift eachother up!

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Mom and Dad, I keep signing you guys up to do things like my taxes and such. Thanks for all the love and support.

Amy, I am sitting here right now with two other MAC regionares. We will definitely take your advice. Thanks for the encouragement. Your blog has been very helpful, especially because I am trying to get my sister to bring her kids to Mexico just like your sister did. I look forward to meeting all of you when I get to the BIG CITY of MEXICO D.F. !!!! Talk to you soon!

Josh

 
At 2:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Josh,

I will be praying for you!

Brendan.

p.s. We hold you close in our prayers and pray God's protection around you and His guidance in all you do.

much love,
Valerie Scanlon & boys

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Thank you Brendan. It means so much to me to know you all are praying for me.

Josh

 
At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds AWESOME brother
I guess by know you have heard of my annoucement this past week, but if you havent...

I announced to the kids this past Sunday after DAY4 that I will begin some new responsibilities here at FBC.

I wil be leading us in media communications as well as College/Singles AND MISSIONS! I am very excited about the new direction but obviously is a tough transition with the kids. so pray for us..

I am Praying for you bro. and words can not express how proud of you that I am. What a blessing to have watched you become such a REAL, TRANSPARENT, LOVING man a God. I cant wait to hear more about your journey. I love you....pete

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Pete,

I hadn't heard until now, and I am thanking God so much! I am pumped for you, for the church, and for the countless people that are going to be reached because of your willingness to step out of your comfort zone. Mostly, however, and I excited because God is going to be GLORIFIED, and that is what we are here for. This is a huge answer to my prayers. A HUGE ANSWER TO MANY, MANY PRAYERS! Thank God! I love you, and I am looking forward to working with you and with the church to glorify God together by exposing lost people to the Gospel. This is awesome. I know it may be hard for the kids at church, but I can't wait until the day they will all look back and say PRAISE GOD! I know that the students in the college and singles ministry have been thirsty for leadership and direction, and I know how long I have prayed that our church would have someone to provide that. You are the perfect man for that calling. I, along with many others, have been praying that our church would develop more of a missions emphasis, and I know that will now be the case. PRAISE GOD! I will call you soon. Thank you for your prayers and how instrumental you have been in my life. I would not be here without you, and I am eternally grateful.

Snakes and doves,

Josh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home