Monday, October 03, 2005

The Great Commissioning

I have just finished a very special and significant night in my life. Tonight I was commissioned for missionary service by my home church in Kentucky. As I listened to my pastor, my friends, and my family all share tonight, I was once again reminded of just how much God has blessed my life. I have so much to be thankful for.

I just want to thank God for the numerous people he has put in my life that have made such a profound impact on me. My family has always been my number one support group, and I was so proud to have them standing beside me tonight as I was commissioned. My three-year-old nephew layed his hands on my shoulder as we prayed, and reached up and wiped away a tear from my cheek when I just couldn't hold it anymore. As much as I will miss my parents, grandparents, and my sister and her family, it is because of who they are that I am even in a position to do this. Thank you! It was also a special treat to have my Uncle Ed drive from out of state to be present for the occasion.

I was so blessed to have several members of the college and young adult ministry there with me. It has been an immense privilege to serve with them over the last year and a half. I am sure that I have learned more from all of them than I have taught in Bible study or Sunday school. I will miss the fellowship and friendships.

I was surrounded by several men who have accompanied me on short-term mission trips to Mexico. They have seen first-hand the way God has worked on my heart as He has prepared me for the mission field, and they have been a constant source of encouragement. I expect to see them again in Mexico, this time with me serving as the translator. :o)

I was surrounded by my pastor and other ministers from my church, who have always provided a Godly example of leadership, and who work hard to minister to my needs and support my growth and development as a Christian. I am so thankful for my church, it's leadership, and their commitment to Jesus. I pray that my ministry will be as effective as that I have witnessed at home.

Finally, I was so blessed to have so many people from my church who hugged me, encouraged me, and committed to pray for me. Prayer is the greatest gift you can give any missionary. I covet your prayers. It means the world to me to know that you are thinking about me, and lifting me up to God on a daily basis. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I really didn't know what to expect from tonight. God has given me an incredible sense of humility. It's like the Casting Crowns song In Me says: "How refreshing to know you don't need me. How amazing to know that you want me." That is how I feel before God - so blessed and awed that He would call me to go to a foreign land and be His ambassador. I pray that I will always approach this mission with humility, respectful of the great honor and privilege that it is to be in the service of our Lord, Jesus Christ.

I thank everyone for making me feel so loved and encouraged tonight and every night, and I thank God for providing such amazing people to share my life with. Dios les bendiga!

7 Comments:

At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bro, you know we're gonna be praying for you as you get ready to follow God's will for you. I realize you'll be back one more time before you depart for training, but I just want to say for the record, that I'll miss seeing ya at church, and that I am proud of what you are doing.

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Thanks Jeremy. I will miss you all as well, and will definitely be praying for you. Keep your head up, or you'll miss all the good stuff. :o)

 
At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No problem.

BTW, what does "Dios les bendiga" mean?

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Josh said...

It means, "God bless you!"

When you are addressing several people, you say "les." When just one person, use "te."

 
At 1:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Jeremy! My name is Bitia, and I'm a friend of Spencer Essenpreis. He told me about you, and I'm excited about what you will be doing. God willing in Spring Break I along with other students from the Texas BSM will be going to Monterrey in Spring Break to work with college students. I just thought it would be cool to be in contact because maybe we will be able to work together. Who knows, but even if we don't, I'll still be praying for you, and I would appreciate it if you prayed for us too. You can e-mail me at BitiJFP15@aol.com if you have any questions or anything you want to say. God bless!

 
At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One more question....How did your marathon go?

 
At 12:34 AM, Blogger Josh said...

Bitia*

This is Josh. This is my blog. Jeremy is a friend of mine from church. I roomed with Spencer at screening conference. Part of my job is going to be working with groups that come down from the states on short-term mission trips, so I am definitely interested in talking to you. I will shoot you an email. About the marathon, it went really well. I am about to write a post about it, so you can get all the details there. Thanks.

Josh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home