Monday, September 26, 2005

Reunion

This past weekend, I attended a cheerleading reunion in Lexington, home of the University of Kentucky Wildcats. For those of you who don't know me very well, I was the Wildcat mascot for three years while in college. Kentucky Cheerleading is a great example of a dynasty. The team has won 10 of the last 11 national championships, with 14 overall. At the reunion, there were people representing teams from the present all the way back to the 1950's. It was pretty cool. When the group was recognized at the first timeout of the UK/Florida football game, about 250 former cheerleaders and mascots took the field to a standing ovation from the Kentucky fans.

It was really good to see a lot of the people that I had spent so much time with in college, and it was somewhat comical to notice that very few, if any, of them had really changed. I started thinking on the way home and it struck me that most people never change. Regardless of the results, most people continue to do what they have always done. While it was good to catch up with people, I was burdened by the fact that most continue to live like they are lost in a maze. They may have found a section of the maze that is comfortable, but they are still lost. I realized that the only way people change is if they are changed by a relationship with Jesus Christ. While all people will seek to fill their lives with everything from sports to money to love, the only thing that will satisfy, the only thing that will fill the void in our hearts, is Jesus.

Romans 12:2 says, "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." The only way we can change, the only way our lives can be transformed, is if we allow ourselves to be renewed by Jesus Christ. I pray that I can become a more effective witness of this fact.

4 Comments:

At 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you!
as always,
Mom

 
At 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I hadn't checked out your site since you first started it...very fun :-) I wish I could keep mine up while I'm gone but alas, Coney Island isn't really the best place for that. Talk to you later!
Stephanie

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Gdog said...

So proud of you, Josh. You're leading the way for your generation. I knew you when your folks brought you home from the hospital. I'm eager to see what Jesus has in mind for you.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Kari said...

Hi Josh, I got your blog link from Spencer's website. I will be his part of his team in Uganda. That's cool that you were the UK mascot! I am also from KY (Henderson) where the bad tornado hit last night. I see that you will be in Mexico...I am good friends with Amy who is in mexico city...we went to MLC together. Anyway, just wanted to say hey to a fellow Kentuckian...I am also a 'blogaholic' so I will check out your blog from time to time. Blessings.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home