Friday, September 16, 2005

Why I Go.

Well, today was my last day of work at Cinergy. I just got home and the realization hit me that I won't be going to "work" anymore. So this is what unemployed people feel like? Seriously, while I am very excited about going onto the mission field, there are definitely some things I will miss about the corporate world. The thing I will miss most is the people I have worked with over the last three years. I have been truly blessed. I really hope that I can keep in touch with many of my co-workers. One thing that I will not miss is spending several hours a day in a cubicle. While we have a tendency to make our cubicles our homes away from home, I just couldn't take too much more of the confinement.

All in all, I had a great job. I had a job that most people would love to have. I liked my co-workers, got to work on some interesting projects, and was paid pretty well for my efforts. So, why am I leaving? A lot of people have asked me how I can leave such a good job and a nice home for something so "unsecure." It boils down to this: In life, I believe you should do whatever you are most passionate about. If you are passionate about what you are doing, the vast majority of the time you are going to be successful. If you are passionate about something, it doesn't matter how much money you make. If you are passionate about what you do, it isn't going to feel like work. It will be enjoyment. You will love what you do. The problem with most people is that they have settled for something they are not passionate about. I used to be one of those people.

People sometimes tell me things like, "If I could do anything, I would start a restaurant." A guy the other day told me he wanted to be a bounty hunter. He spends his days sitting in a cube dreaming about chasing down bad guys. I used to sit and think, "If I could do anything, I would be a missionary." Well, here is a NEWS FLASH: You can do anything. If that is what you are passionate about, go out and do it. If you have to go back to school, do it. If you need to sell your big house and put up some money, do it. Quit wasting your time, and start pursuing whatever it is that you have a passion for.

My live has been radically changed by Jesus Christ. I have been blessed beyond measure, and I want to share that blessing with other people. I have a passion for telling people how Jesus can change their life. That is why I am leaving my great job. That is why I am going to Mexico. That is why I am leaving everything I know and stepping out of my comfort zone. I am pursuing my passion, and if you want to be satisfied, that is what you will do too.

Dios les bendiga!

5 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im here so keep the Blog up dont pay any attention to any of theses others. God is and will keep Blesing you.

 
At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Josh,
I'm thrilled for you being able to pursue your passions. We will be praying for you! I'm so glad to know that you are doing so well.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Jesse said...

Amen

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, sorry for the multiple comments, but I just had to say something in response to this one. A lot of the things you said are really what drove me to even begin applying for j-man. Even if it wasn't what God had for me, I knew I could never live with myself if I didn't at least try. To look back on my life and know that I would regret so deeply a decision not to go only helped to confirm my choice. We should pursue these passion in life: I have a huge desire to go skydiving :-) At any rate, there's something Dave Ramsey says that I think really applies - "RIght now live like no one else so that in the future you can live like no one else." (loosely quoted) WHile that wasn't intended specifically for this situation, I think it works well!
Sorry I wrote a book...I'll stop now.
Stephanie Dobbs

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Steph,

Thanks for the comments. I like the Dave Ramsey quote. They just started having him on the radio every night up here. I am going to miss his show when I leave. Actually, I might be able to listen online. Oh well, keep pursuing those passions. See you at orientation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home