Monday, January 30, 2006

Accept and Adjust

So I am sitting on campus today, courtesy of my new friend Noe', and I am hanging out with a Mexican and a guy from Japan. By the way, if you have never spoken Spanish with a Japanese person, it is an experience I highly recommend. Well, Noe' is taking a class on cross-cultural communications, and was explaining to me the different steps a person takes when they are confronted with a different culture. After he went through the six stages, I decided I am somewhere between acceptance and adjustment.

I wrote the other day about some of the many differences between living in Mexico and living in the U.S. The first couple days, it isn't too big of a deal because you kind of feel like you are on vacation. After a while, however, reality sets in, and you realize this in the environment you will be living in for the next several years, if not longer. Now don't get me wrong, I love living here so far, but some things are just not what I am used to, like not having a toilet seat. My boss and fellow observer of cultural differences told me the proper attitude to take is summed up by the quote, "It's not wrong, it's just different." Well, I say I am in between the acceptance stage and the adjustment stage because I have accepted most of these differences, but sometimes I am just longing for that toilet seat. Not that my legs aren't getting a great workout, but once I get in my apartment, I know what my first purchase will be. I already checked at the grocery store, and I can get a good one for about $25. Aside from the seat, some things have been easy to accept, and really haven't required much adjustment, like no ice. I was never that big on ice anyway. Another thing that is not a big deal is drinking bottled water, and since it is so cheap down here, I can justify it a lot more than in the U.S.

One thing that I have adapted to very well is not having a car. Really the only times I have ever been without personal transportation were my freshman year of college and the two months I spent in Europe before my 3rd senior year. ;-) Although I have gotten rides from people a few times, for the most part it has been buses, walking, and the occassional taxi. I have always liked to walk, and I already blogged about the great experience I had on the bus this weekend. Seriously though, I don't even know that I would want to drive in this city, especially if I had a car that I didn't want to get scratched up.

Basically the whole point of this rambling post is to say that moving to another country is a big learning experience, and I think I am adapting pretty well so far. When we were out in the street on Saturday, one of my friends even told me if I would just keep my mouth shut I could pass for a Mexican. I will try to take that advice. Anway, thanks for your continued prayers and support. I love getting your emails and comments. Dios les bendiga!

1 Comments:

At 10:29 AM, Blogger Casey said...

Greetings from the South Side, Mexico City!

Man, no toliet seat! I thankfully haven't had that experience yet. Other than that, I can definently relate. Although, I don't think I'll ever pass for a Mexican. Glad to know that things are going well.

~Casey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home